Sunday, November 25, 2007

Long way, baby


Long way, baby, originally uploaded by laureljadewilliams.

Thanksgiving in another country is weird and kinda sad. Sad mainly because it really breaks my heart that most of my family is so far away that it's not only a different day where they are, its a different season. And weird because its NOVEMBER and it's so hot that it's ridiculously uncomfortable to eat all that food and then want to go swimming. Bikinis, cornbread dressing, pumpkin pie and wave-action just don't mix.

Not to mention the 30 hours of sunlight after you eat to make you feel guilty for not being able to anything due to sleepiness and mobility issues. Kinda like being hungover in church. I should be able to go to bed at 4:00pm guilt free, then wake up three hours later, eat more and then go back to sleep to the sounds of football and Hills Street Blues in the background.

Alas, all this moaning and whining kinda flies in the face of the holiday, so I'll take this opportunity to list all the things I'm grateful for.

1) Healthy babies.
2) My brand-new, beautiful office desk made from old closet doors
3) My hot foreign boyfriend with his cute accent and willingness to fully participate in and show exuberance for American holidays that mean absolutely nothing to him.
4) My global smathering of friends and family
5) Overwhelming views
6) The takeaway container of carbs soaked in turkey fat in my fridge

No comments: