Thursday, November 22, 2007

Bedroom After!


CIMG4720, originally uploaded by laureljadewilliams.

From Egg Yolk, to, I don't know Under the Sea? Ash lovingly refers to it as Keira Knightly's minge as one of the colors we considered was called "Pirate's Haven."
I love it. Just looooooove it. It was damn hard work. Ash is super detail oriented (part of what makes him a great jeweller), so we ended up taking almost a month to complete the room, but the result is incredible.

The paint job is 100% flawless. There is nothing more satisfying than pulling the tape off the crown molding and seeing a razor sharp line between bright white and dark blue. I've never had the patience to see a project through so exactingly, but now I see the benefit.

The result is almost preppy. Honestly, as a scruffy girl in mostly wrinkled clothes and the wrong kind of shoes and the ability to tolerate persistent grease stains on my trousers, I'm just floored that something of mine could be so crisp and pristine. My heart beats fast when I get into bed, and not just because I have my very own Flight of the Conchord to share it with.

The lessons I learned from this project:

1) Always buy more paint than you think you need.
2) Peel the tape of while the paint is still wet.
3) But, Laurel, how can you peel the tape of when the paint is still wet if you're doing more than one coat?
4) The latest coat of paint re-wets the previous coats of paints allowing you to remove tape while paint is still wet.
5) Plaster dust is evil

No comments: